Thomas McMahon is Bishop of Brentwood. He was ordained at Wonersh in 1959. In 1980 when he was consecrated as Bishop of Brentwood. A former member of the National Ecumenical Commission, he was Chairman of Brentwood Ecumenical Commission in 1979, Chairman of Churches Together in Essex and East London from 1984-1993, and served on the International Commission for English in the Liturgy from 1983-2001.
Thomas McMahon has been involved with a number of developments in the diocese, including the establishment of the Justice and Peace Commission, the Social Welfare Commission, the Youth Commission, the Diocesan Pastoral Centre at New Hall and the Diocesan House of Prayer at Brentwood. He was responsible for the building of the diocesan offices’ “Cathedral House” in Brentwood and the building of a new Cathedral in 1989.
He is a patron of many groups, most notably as Vice-President of Pax Christi. He has received an Honorary Degree from Essex University and was made an Honorary Fellow of Hertford College, Oxford.